Troy was originally known as Huff’s Gulch. In 1890 John P. Vollmer was instrumental in extending the Spokane & Palouse Railway (later the Northern Pacific) to Huff’s Gulch from Moscow as a start toward completion of its line to Lewiston. After establishing a general merchandise store and a large livery stable, he had the town renamed after himself. It was incorporated as Vollmer in 1892. As a businessman Voller was very successful, amassing large land holdings and great wealth.
In 1897 citizens rebelled against having their village named after a man who owned more than 32,000 acres of land, much of it gained by foreclosing on bank loans to farmers. A Greek railroad worker suggested “Troy,” the name of “the most illustrious city in the world” and back it with an offer of a drink of whisky ro everyone who would vote to change the name. “Troy” received 29 votes; “Vollmer”, 9.
In the early 1900’s, Troy had a bank, a flour mill, a general store, two meat markets, three saloons, several sawmills, one dentist, and a weekly newspaper.
The town of Troy is a small logging and farming community 11 miles east of Moscow and sits at 2400 feet. The population is currently 800. Homes in Troy offer luscious views of pine trees and canyons. Its close proximity to Moscow makes it a perfect spot for commuters who like a rural lifestyle. Troy open a new highschool in 2001, adding more opportunities and a safer environment for all students.
Troy is located approxiametly 5 miles from Spring Valley Reservoir, one of the areas most popular summer/winter hiking, camping and fishing hot spots. It is also the end point for the Latah County Trail, a hiking/biking/walking trail, that runs from Troy to Pullman, WA.