Lewiston-Clark Valley History:
The history of the Lewis-Clark Valley is rich with traditions and stories. For centuries the area has been home to the Nez Perce Indians who traveled through the valley and lived off the land and rivers. In 1805 the Corps of Discovery explorers, Meriwether Lewis and William Clark, were welcomed by the native people. That historical meeting led to the naming of our sister cities in honor of the explorers; Lewiston Idaho and Clarkston Washington.
When the Idaho Territory was established in 1863, Lewiston, Idaho’s oldest city, became the capital. Over time the Idaho state seat of government was moved to Boise. however, the Lewis-Clark Valley grew and prospered as the home to miners, merchants, railroads, mill workers and farmers. Located 465 miles from the Pacific Ocean at the confluence of the Snake and Clearwater rivers, water transportation played a vital role in the growth of the area.
30 miles south of Moscow lie the seaport communities of Lewiston, Idaho and Clarkston, Washington.Recreational opportunities abound in the Lewis-Clark Valley. Known as the Gateway to Hells Canyon, North America’s deepest gorge, opportunities for jet boating, whitewater rafting, swimming, fishing, hunting, hiking and camping are limitless. Miles of levee pathways follow the rivers for walking, jogging and biking. The area is often referred to as the “Banana Belt” due to the mild winter climate that allows for year-round golfing while being only a short drive away from snow skiing and snowmobiling.